A Pause for Poetry
Poetry is a language of its own. Its cadence is eloquently woven together with a methodical beat and a creative flare.
It can be abstract or it can be concrete; the fact of the matter is you don’t always have to be discreet.
When it comes to poetry, there’s no such thing as one-size-fits-all. You can do or say just about anything in a poem. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t even always have to rhyme! In today’s blog we’re providing you with some tips and tools to refine your techniques as a poet.
Take these five poetry tips for a spin and see what works best for you! Remember, there are no rules when it comes to poetry. The only thing that’s required is that you let your creativity and imagination run free.
- Use vocabulary words that you’ve never used before. Challenge yourself to expand your lexicon and infuse those new words into your writing.
- Write a poem every day. Our lives are busy, but it’s always important to make time for the things you love. Set aside some time during the day to write a poem. Habitually writing will not only help release your creativity, it will also help you hone your skills.
- Read a poem every day. Just like we encouraged you to write each day, it’s important to refine your craft by reading the works of others. Take note of their writing style, gain inspiration from their topics, and use what you’ve learned and apply it to your craft.
- Search for inspiration. Everywhere you look is a chance for you to become inspired. Whether it’s a bird chirping in a tree or a person tapping their foot on the subway, inspiration is out there – keep your eyes and ears open.
- Don’t limit yourself. It’s human nature to fear failure. But, as a poet, you have to write your fair share of bad poems before you write one that you can’t stop reading. Practice makes perfect and this applies to poetry as well. Do your best to not be your worst critic; keep an open mind and keep writing until you get in a groove.
At Dorrance Publishing, we encourage you to take these five writing tips as inspiration to keep writing poetry and to enjoy the journey along the way.
Copyright Dorrance Publishing, 2016